Saturday 28 August 2010

Bespoke Medals

medal-crop
This is one of five medals I was commissioned to make for a sailing award called The Spirit of Kathy.
I took an old medal that my Mum won years ago and a half penny that my brother had in a coin collection. I filed off the writing from the coin so just the image of the ship remained. Then I removed the previous emblem off the medal and fitted the coin into the round space. The type on the original medal was printed on so when I made a sand cast of it, it didn't make an impression. I cast six medals in a brass bronze alloy, the same as I used to make my pigeon claw pendants. This created the base for the medals. My Mum's boyfriend then soldered on the brass loops at the top to hold the ribbon. My Boyfriend's Nan engraved them for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment